Posted by : Unknown Saturday, April 26, 2014

"Jolly, cheerful atmosphere, harmonious musical scattered across all episodes, Mozart and Beethoven-like era was emphasized, and probably the sweetest."

Who would've thought that Nodame Cantabile can move and tempt me into re-watching this anime series over and over again? From what I can tell, this anime is worth watching especially if you’re a musical instrument fan who likes to play with musical instruments like Piano.



Synopsis

The story started in Japan where the two hopeful musicians Chiaki Shinichi and Noda Megumi crossed each other at Momogaoka Conservatoire. Chiaki has very strong personality, conceited, skilled in playing piano and violin, and especially he also knows how to be a conductor in an orchestra thanks to his self-learning experience. On the other hand, Nodame, known for her weirdness like saying unusual stuffs and terminologies like “gyabo” or “mukya!” was her expressions whenever she feels sad or happy is skilled in Piano due to her cantabile-like style of mastering every musical pieces. However, she was often criticized as she was not playing the piece properly, rather she plays it according on what she feels. But, despite of her eccentric way of playing, she was beloved by her uniqueness of style and technique of playing. 
Momogaoka Conservatoire
S Orchestra debut
Along the way, they gained many friends at conservatoire, ending Chiaki having his own Orchestra after he graduates from the Conservatoire and his relationship with Nodame deepens unexpectedly despite of his strictness for himself.

Not long ago I’ve finished watching the series for the 3rd time already. I didn’t know that this anime series is becoming the thing I really cherish and love. It some sort of drives you into the musical world and it feels like telling you the reason why music is so much cherished and beloved until now especially the historic music composers like Mozart and Beethoven have embedded so much to remember within the music by incorporating what they feel in their own compositions in Piano.


The Good
Nodame's first recital in Paris
Atmospheric Musical Theme
This is one of the reasons why I love re-watching the series so much. I used to be a pianist before myself. I didn’t really appreciate classical music that much like Mozart, Beethoven’s set of classical music until I’ve watched Nodame Cantabile. Some of the pieces that I love includes: Rachmaninoff, Oboe Concerto in C, Rhapsody in Blue – Gershwin, Pathetique 2nd Movement – Beethoven. And especially who would’ve forget about the epic two Piano piece played by both Chiaki and Nodame which is the Sonata for two Piano in D K.448 by Mozart?

Strong Character Development
            At season 1 of the series with 23 episodes, each episodes built an astonishing tension and character development within the cast. Chiaki, who previously thought he won’t be able to make it abroad have successfully made his dreams come true thanks to all the efforts of Nodame and he was able to conduct as well by the help of Stressemann, along with the efforts of Nodame.

Lively cast of Characters
            May it be Chiaki, or Nodame, or Kuroki, Miki Kiyora from Vienna, Mine Ryutarou, all of them seem to love music. The cast are most often funny competing at each other especially Mine who can’t seem to surpass Chiaki’s skills in violin and unparalleled skill in Conducting. All-in-all they make the series so lively. None of them were unnecessary since all of them have major role within the series.


The Bad



Unsatisfactory Ending
            The last season seems a little bit lacking for me. They have little impact unlike how the audience felt when watching the first season of the series. I don’t want to go too far as to say that the 3rd season ruined the excitement that taken over from the 1st season. At first I was unsatisfied since the story of Chiaki and Nodame seemed to be a little unclear to me at first whether they really did break-up for good or they were together again. But, after I’ve re-watched the series again, it was quite the opposite of my interpretation as before.

And about the lacking thing I’ve always mentioned, it’s not just from the relationship of Chiaki and Nodame that I really noticed, it's from their performance and improvement as a musician. Did Chiaki finally have the chance of playing with Philharmonic Orchestra? Did he finally accomplish to make Vierra-sensei his teacher in Conducting? And for both of them, did they have finally a chance to play side-by-side in Orchestra? With Nodame having a piano concerto alongside Chiaki? The lack of conclusion that was given at the end of the series leaves you unsatisfied.

Definitely, there are still some things that needs answering. But, when I found out about the sequel of the series, I was a little bit satisfied. I was a little bit unsatisfied because it was only on Manga. If only did they make an anime series for that sequel, I would be satisfied.

All-in-all, despite of its downside I felt Nodame Cantabile as one of the masterpiece that I’ve ever watched so far. It really ignited by far my interest in classical music and thinking of playing Mozart and Beethoven’s musical pieces someday. So kudos to you Nodame Cantabile!

P.S. As a reward in reading my review, I’ll give you an e-book compiled by me that tells the sequel of Nodame Cantabile after Nodame Cantabile Finale. You may click the link here: http://
bit.ly/1lVeZoo
:D

Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments

Welcome to My Blog

- Copyright © Anime opinions and critics -Robotic Notes- Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -